Doritos Chicken tenders are a delicious twist on classic chicken tenders. They are made by coating chicken strips or tenderloin pieces in finely crushed Doritos chips and then baking or frying them to crispy perfection. This recipe has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its simplicity and the fact that it can be easily customized to suit individual tastes.
One of the best things about Doritos Chicken tenders is that they are incredibly versatile. They can be made using any flavor of Doritos chips, allowing for a wide range of flavor combinations. Some popular options include Nacho Cheese, Cool Ranch, and Spicy Sweet Chili. Additionally, the recipe can be adapted to suit different dietary requirements, such as using gluten-free or vegan-friendly Doritos chips.
Origins of Doritos Chicken Tenders
History of Doritos
Doritos is a brand of flavored tortilla chips that was first introduced in the United States in 1964. The chips were created by Frito-Lay, a division of PepsiCo, and were initially only available in one flavor: Toasted Corn. Over the years, Frito-Lay has introduced a wide variety of flavors, including Nacho Cheese, Cool Ranch, and Spicy Nacho.
Inception of Doritos Chicken Tenders
The idea of using Doritos as a coating for chicken tenders is believed to have originated in the United States in the early 2000s. The recipe quickly gained popularity and has since become a staple in many households and restaurants.
To make Doritos Chicken Tenders, chicken strips are coated in a mixture of crushed Doritos and other seasonings before being baked or fried. The result is a crispy, flavorful chicken tender that is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
Today, there are countless variations of the recipe, with some people adding additional seasonings or sauces to the mix. Doritos Chicken Tenders have become a popular party food and are often served as an appetizer or snack.
Overall, the origins of Doritos Chicken Tenders are somewhat unclear, but it is clear that they have become a beloved dish in many households and restaurants across the United States.
Ingredients and Preparation
To make Doritos Chicken Tenders, the following ingredients are required:
- 3 cups Doritos, finely crushed (any flavor)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips (or tenderloin pieces)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
To prepare the Doritos Chicken Tenders, follow these simple steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow dish, combine the crushed Doritos and salt.
- In another shallow dish, whisk together the buttermilk and flour until smooth.
- Dip each chicken strip into the buttermilk mixture, then coat with the crushed Doritos.
- Place the coated chicken strips onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the chicken strips.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is crispy.
That’s it! These Doritos Chicken Tenders are easy to make and perfect for a quick and delicious meal.
The caloric content of Doritos chicken tenders varies depending on the recipe and serving size. On average, one serving of four tenders contains approximately 400-500 calories. However, this number may increase depending on the amount of oil used in frying or the addition of high-calorie dipping sauces.
Doritos chicken tenders are a good source of protein, with one serving containing approximately 30-40 grams. However, they are also high in fat and sodium. One serving can contain up to 20 grams of fat and 800 milligrams of sodium. It is important to note that excessive consumption of sodium can lead to high blood pressure and other health issues.
To make Doritos chicken tenders healthier, consider baking or air frying them instead of deep-frying. Additionally, using a low-fat or non-fat milk and egg wash can help reduce the fat content. Finally, pairing the tenders with a side of vegetables or a salad can help balance out the meal and provide additional nutrients.
Overall, while Doritos chicken tenders can be a tasty treat, they should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Doritos Chicken Tenders are delicious on their own, but dipping sauces can add an extra layer of flavor. Here are some dipping sauces that go well with Doritos Chicken Tenders:
- Ranch Dressing: Ranch dressing is a classic dipping sauce that goes well with almost anything. Its creamy texture and tangy flavor complement the crunchy texture and savory taste of Doritos Chicken Tenders.
- Honey Mustard Sauce: Honey mustard sauce is another popular dipping sauce that pairs well with Doritos Chicken Tenders. Its sweet and tangy flavor adds a nice contrast to the salty and spicy flavor of the chicken tenders.
- Barbecue Sauce: Barbecue sauce is a great option for those who prefer a smoky and sweet flavor. Its rich and bold flavor pairs well with the crunchy texture of Doritos Chicken Tenders.
To complement the flavors of Doritos Chicken Tenders, here are some side dishes that you can serve:
- French Fries: French fries are a classic side dish that goes well with almost any type of chicken dish. Their crispy texture and salty flavor complement the crunchy texture and savory taste of Doritos Chicken Tenders.
- Corn on the Cob: Corn on the cob is a great option for those who prefer a lighter side dish. Its sweet and juicy flavor pairs well with the spicy and savory flavor of the chicken tenders.
- Cole Slaw: Cole slaw is a refreshing side dish that adds a nice crunch to the meal. Its tangy and creamy flavor complements the bold and spicy flavor of the chicken tenders.
Overall, the choice of dipping sauces and side dishes depends on personal preference. These suggestions are just a starting point to help you create a delicious and satisfying meal.
Variations of Doritos Chicken Tenders
Doritos Chicken Tenders are a versatile and tasty dish that can be customized to suit different tastes and dietary needs. Here are some variations to try:
- Spicy: For those who like a little heat, try using spicy nacho or Flamin’ Hot Doritos in place of the regular variety. You can also add cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the breading mixture for an extra kick.
- Cool Ranch: Swap out the regular Doritos for Cool Ranch flavor for a tangy twist on the classic recipe.
- Zesty: Use the Zesty Cheese flavor of Doritos for a bold and flavorful coating on the chicken tenders.
- Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free tortilla chips in place of the Doritos and cornstarch instead of flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Low-Carb: Swap out the flour and Doritos for almond flour and crushed pork rinds to make a low-carb version of this recipe.
- Vegetarian: Use tofu or seitan in place of the chicken to make a vegetarian version of this recipe. You can also use vegan Doritos or tortilla chips and substitute non-dairy milk for the egg wash.
Experiment with different flavor combinations and dietary adaptations to find the perfect Doritos Chicken Tenders recipe for you.
Baking is a healthy and easy way to cook Doritos chicken tenders. To start, preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, dip the chicken tenders in a mixture of buttermilk, flour, salt, and any desired seasoning. Then, coat the tenders with crushed Doritos and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Finally, bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is crispy and golden brown.
Frying is a traditional cooking method for chicken tenders, but it can be messy and high in calories. To fry Doritos chicken tenders, heat oil in a deep skillet or fryer to 350°F (177°C). Then, dip the chicken tenders in a mixture of buttermilk, flour, salt, and any desired seasoning. Next, coat the tenders with crushed Doritos and fry them in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy. Finally, drain the chicken tenders on paper towels to remove excess oil.
Air frying is a healthier alternative to frying that still produces crispy and delicious Doritos chicken tenders. To air fry, preheat the air fryer to 400°F (204°C). Then, dip the chicken tenders in a mixture of buttermilk, flour, salt, and any desired seasoning. Next, coat the tenders with crushed Doritos and place them in the air fryer basket. Finally, air fry for 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is crispy and golden brown.
Overall, each of these cooking techniques has its advantages and disadvantages. Baking is healthy and easy, frying is traditional and delicious, and air frying is a healthier alternative to frying. Choose the technique that best fits your needs and preferences.
Storage and Reheating
Doritos chicken tenders can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Place the leftover tenders in an airtight container or wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. It is essential to store them in the fridge as soon as possible after cooking to prevent bacterial growth.
To reheat the chicken tenders, preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the tenders on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat the tenders in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, but be aware that this method may result in soggy breading.
It is not recommended to reheat the chicken tenders in a skillet or on the stovetop as this may cause the breading to become too crispy or burnt, and the chicken may dry out.
When reheating the chicken tenders, be sure to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure that it has reached 165°F, the safe minimum temperature for cooked chicken.
It is important to note that reheated chicken tenders may not be as crispy as when they were freshly made. For best results, it is recommended to consume the chicken tenders immediately after cooking.
Pairing with Beverages
When it comes to pairing beverages with Doritos chicken tenders, there are a variety of options to choose from. Whether you prefer an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink, there are plenty of options that can enhance the flavors of the dish.
For those who prefer to enjoy their chicken tenders with a cold beer, a light lager or pilsner would be a great choice. The crisp and refreshing taste of these beers can complement the crunchy texture of the chicken tenders, while also providing a refreshing palate cleanser between bites.
If you prefer a stronger drink, a hoppy IPA or a pale ale can also be a great match. The bitterness of these beers can help to cut through the richness of the chicken tenders, while also providing a nice contrast to the spicy flavors of certain Doritos varieties.
For those who prefer wine, a light and crisp white wine such as a Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Grigio can be a great choice. The acidity of these wines can help to balance out the richness of the chicken tenders, while also providing a refreshing and palate-cleansing effect.
If you prefer a non-alcoholic beverage, there are plenty of options that can complement the flavors of Doritos chicken tenders. A cold glass of lemonade or iced tea can be a refreshing choice, while also providing a nice contrast to the spicy flavors of certain Doritos varieties.
For those who prefer a carbonated beverage, a cold soda or seltzer can be a great choice. The bubbles in these drinks can help to cut through the richness of the chicken tenders, while also providing a refreshing and palate-cleansing effect.
Overall, when it comes to pairing beverages with Doritos chicken tenders, there are plenty of options to choose from. Whether you prefer an alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink, there are plenty of options that can enhance the flavors of the dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
What ingredients are typically used to make Doritos-crusted chicken tenders?
The main ingredients used to make Doritos-crusted chicken tenders are chicken tenders, eggs, milk, and crushed Doritos. Some recipes may also include additional spices or seasonings to enhance the flavor of the chicken tenders.
How do you prepare and cook Doritos chicken tenders?
To prepare Doritos chicken tenders, the chicken breasts are cut into strips, dipped in an egg-milk mixture, and then coated in crushed Doritos. The coated chicken tenders are then baked or fried until they are fully cooked. Baking is a healthier option than frying, but frying results in a crispier texture.
Are there any special dipping sauces recommended for Doritos chicken tenders?
While any dipping sauce can be used with Doritos chicken tenders, some popular options include ranch dressing, honey mustard, or barbecue sauce. These sauces complement the flavor of the chicken tenders and add an extra layer of taste to the dish.
Can Doritos chicken tenders be made in an air fryer?
Yes, Doritos chicken tenders can be made in an air fryer. Simply follow the same steps for preparing and coating the chicken tenders, then place them in the air fryer basket. Cook the chicken tenders at 400°F for 8-10 minutes, or until they are fully cooked and crispy.
What are some common side dishes to serve with Doritos chicken tenders?
Some popular side dishes to serve with Doritos chicken tenders include french fries, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, or a side salad. These sides provide a balance to the dish and offer a variety of textures and flavors.
Is it possible to make gluten-free Doritos chicken tenders?
Yes, it is possible to make gluten-free Doritos chicken tenders. Simply use gluten-free Doritos and substitute any wheat flour with a gluten-free flour alternative. This allows individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease to enjoy the dish without any adverse reactions.